April 07, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Her Excellency Ambassador Sherry Rehman,
Embassy of The Islamic Republic of Pakistan,
3517 International Court, NW,
Washington, D.C. 20008.
Your Excellency Ambassador Sherry Rehman,
1. I am writing this letter after reciting Al-Fatihah, “The Opening”, Surah I, Fatihatu’l – Kitab, “The Opening of the Scripture of Holy Book of Quran. You would need no introduction to this Surah I, as it is the Daily Prayer, and Muslims recite this to offer Salaat or Namaaz. However, kindly permit me to quote the opening sentence and the second verse which read as follows :
Bismillahi r – rahmani r- rahim ( In the name of Allah the most Beneficent, the most Merciful )
Ar rahmani r – rahim ( The most Beneficent, the most Merciful )
2. I am writing this letter in response to the news story that stated that a Court of Law in Pakistan has sentenced Osama bin Laden’s three widows and two daughters to 45 days imprisonment or house detention for living illegally in Pakistan. This action will be followed by deportation of Osama bin Laden’s family members to their countries of origin. I want to submit to you and to the Judge of that Court of Law and other concerned officials of Pakistan’s Law Enforcement, that this punitive action is not consistent with the Daily Prayer that Muslims recite. While we all need the Mercy of the most Beneficent, and the most Merciful Being, we may have to project our prayer for Mercy in our actions towards others. In Islamic tradition and culture, wife(wives), and unmarried children are expected to live in obedience and follow the directions given by the husband/father. It is a natural principle and people of all faiths to some extent believe in the unity of family and the stewardship of family by husband/father. Any punitive action against the members of Osama bin Laden’s family for simply following the rules of tradition is unfair and is unjust. They have not displayed any intention to disobey the Laws of the Land of Pakistan and may not have indulged in any criminal or illegal act. We need to understand their action or desire to enter and live in Pakistan with the same attitude and expectation with which we address Allah as the most Beneficent, and the most Merciful. I would like to ask you and the citizens of Pakistan to act in the manner that reflects the nature of their Daily Prayer. The family members of Osama bin Laden need love, care, and comfort and may need physical and moral support to maintain their family unity after they lost the husband/father, their natural guardian. The family of Osama bin Laden may be given an opportunity to live together and if they wish and desire, they should be helped to continue their residence in Pakistan with a sense of mental peace, harmony and tranquility.
3. I define man as a spiritual being who is known from the nature of his existence seeking Peace, Harmony, and Tranquility within himself and with others in his environment and community. There are no exceptions to this spiritual nature of man. We often get mentally confused when man displays hostility, animosity, and aggressiveness in his interactions with others. Spiritualism is the potency that brings man’s essence and existence to come together to sustain his biological existence in the material, physical world. Aggression is caused by ignorance and by man’s lack of understanding of his real or true human nature. On the eve of Holy Easter, I would suggest that all of us must seek Peace, Harmony, and Tranquility in all of our actions and in our interactions with others.
4. I would also seek the favour of your assistance to extend my feelings of sympathy to the three widows and two daughters of Osama bin Laden and any of his other children and relatives. Kindly assure them that they are not alone in this world. I cannot ask Allah for the favour of His Mercy without communicating my feelings to these innocent victims and give them some comfort by sharing my thoughts and prayers for their well-being and safety.
5. I would much appreciate to hear from you and I would thank you in advance for taking action on my simple request to convey a message to this family who lost a husband or father.
Dr. R. Rudra Narasimham, B.Sc., M.B.B.S.,
Ex- Number. MS-8466 Rank Lieutenant/Captain AMC/SSC,
Medical Officer, South Column, Operation Eagle(1971-72),
Ex- Number. MR-03277K Rank Captain/Major AMC/DPC
Medical Officer, Headquarters Establishment No. 22 C/O 56 APO(1971-74),
Directorate General of Security,
Office of Inspector General Special Frontier Force,
East Block V, Level IV, R. K. Puram,
New Delhi – 110 022